12.15.2007

Art & consumer culture









Lodge playpool 2014 oil on canvas 23 x 30''

SH"*%%T! I just deleted 60 mins of posting, thats the last time i am writing directly on the web without saving it on my PC. I just finished by saying, whats the difference between a pair of Nikes and a contempory painting in a gallery? Argueably, as an artist if I put the trainers in a gallery they should be worth as much possibly more, and if I write some consumer culture comment beside them and have a video playing of someone jogging in them I think the price will go even higher..
Why not sell art in shops instead of 'galleries' or just call them Art shops, whats the diffrence??
I mean doesnt the Nike Store look like a gallery of Nike Art works? I spend about the same amount of time appreciating Trainers as I do painting generally so..why the huge price diffrence.. at least I can wear the shoes..
And dont tell me its special or original, that rubbish, it very, very, rarely is. So who are these fools who are buying all this crap? I really want to know..
Didnt Warhol & Duchamp make a point out of this? So why do still look at contemporary art as we do a Renaissance masterwork? Entirely diffrent things, nothing in common. Its like when you see the early computers in the history museum the only diffrence is that there are thousands of old pcs which are worthless, and we understand that, but we have not realised that there are millions of 'artists' because pretty much everyone has a point of view about something and can reorganise furniture or media, they just havent been 'discovered', yet..

No comments: